History

A windmill was first recorded on the site on top of Argos Hill in 1656, when Nicholas Puxte of Garden House held "Ye windmill field att Argatts Hill". The current mill was built around 1835 for the Westons, in whose family it remained for over seventy-five years. The mill is now owned by Wealden District Council.

Argos Hill Windmill
Argos Hill Windmill before 1927

A brief history of the mill is outlined below:

c1835Mill built for the Weston family
1835-1912Worked by the Weston family
1912Sold to G. Wickens
c1923-1925Mill idle
c1925-1927Worked by Mr Richardson of the Neve family from Heathfield
1927Mill ceased work
1927-1955Mill practically abandoned
1929Fantail blown off in a gale
1932Shutters removed from the sails
1955Uckfield Rural District Council took over the mill, sharing the upkeep costs with East Sussex County Council
1955-1956Original restoration work by W. Sands of Heathfield. The sails were renewed, repairs were made to the body framing and the tailpole was replaced.
1957Roof of roundhouse renewed
1963Mill struck by lightening. One sweep and wall of roundhouse damaged.
1966-1967Front frame renewed
1967Stock fractured in gale - fell with sweep, damaging roundhouse roof
1969Fly frame restored with new tail pole
1987Extensive damage in hurricane. Two sweeps lost and weatherboarding torn from mill body
1990Restoration with dummy sails by Ernest Hole & Sons completed by E. Hole & Son Ltd at a cost of £21,600
1994Exterior repainted and red covering on roof renewed
1999Sails removed. Friends of Argos Hill Windmill set up.
2002Mill placed on English Heritage "Buildings at risk" register
May 2005The mill's sails were removed and the mill was concealed in a protective scaffold shell
June 2005Meeting held between The Friends of Argos Hill Windmill, Wealden Council, and Mayfield and Five Ashes Parish Council to discuss the future of the mill.
September 2006English Heritage produced an internal memorandum on the windmill.
January 2008Wealden District Council threatened to dismantle the windmill and put it into storage.
2008Negotiations took place with Wealden District Council to form a trust to ensure the mill's survival.
2010Argos Hill Windmill website launched. Argos Hill Windmill Trust formed.
2011Wealden District Council lease the mill to the Argos Hill Windmill Trust. Fundraising campaign launched.
2012Steel frame installed to support the mill body.
2013Planning and fundraising for the restoration carried out. The mill was featured on BBC1's "Restoring England's Heritage" TV programme.
2014Major grants towards the restoration were awarded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Architectural Heritage Fund, Charles Hayward Foundation and The Rotherfield Trust. Restoration work started on site.
2015Structural repairs completed, weatherboarding installed, sweeps manufactured, shutters painted.
2016Phases 1 and 2 of the restoration completed - steps, tailpole and sweeps installed. Grand opening of the mill held. Phases 3 and 4 of the restoration project launched. The sweeps were turned by wind for the first time in over 80 years.
Argos Hill Windmill

Earlier windmills on the site

There were several mills on Argos Hill before the present one was built. A number of pieces of evidence support this: